LAVLE Launches Proteus ESS
LAVLE launched its flagship Proteus Lithium-Ion .Battery Energy Storage System (Proteus ESS), engineered to overcome the limitations of conventional lithium-ion storage technologies
Proteus utilizes LAVLE's battery management system (BMS), which is designed to maximize reliability, lifetime and uptime, and further enhances Proteus' performance and safety characteristics, the manufacturer said.
Designed and developed by LAVLE Chief Technology Officer Dr. Ben Gully, who spearheaded thought leadership for lithium-ion battery safety within DNV-GL's Maritime Advisory Group and facilitated the positioning of marine systems as setting the highest lithium-ion battery safety standards in the world, Proteus features:
- A highly effective thermal management system that entirely mitigates the risk of thermal runaway, with high performance liquid cooling, optimized battery chemistry and multi-layer propagation barriers.
- A dual redundant design that ensures no single component failure anywhere in the system can take down more than a single battery string.
- Gas and leak detection technologies in every module.
- High-performance active and passive balancing systems to maximize system lifetime and reliability.
- Cloud-based high security remote monitoring.
- Mechanical design featuring rear blind mate connections and screwless integrated module locking mechanisms.
Proteus is currently undergoing certification by DNV-GL.
In addition to bringing Proteus to market, LAVLE says it is also making significant breakthroughs in the development of large format lithium metal battery (LMB) and solid-electrolyte battery (SEB) ESS. Currently in prototype testing, LAVLE's LMB and SEB ESS are enabled by battery cells and separator technology from 3DOM and offer unmatched performance and safety characteristics. LAVLE's LMB and SEB technologies have already achieved energy density of 420 Wh/kg in full size large format cells—more than double that of traditional lithium-ion batteries. The lower operating temperatures of LAVLE's LMB and SEB at 25 degrees Centigrade ambient temperature deliver the safety characteristics necessary for broad commercial application, compared to competing solutions requiring elevated temperatures.