Mercury Marine Unveils New Engines
Marine propulsion and technology company Mercury Marine has expanded its SeaPro family of commercial outboard engines with two new V-8 4.6L models. Building on the launch of the V-6 200hp SeaPro in February, the new 225hp, 250hp and 300hp V-8 SeaPro engines give Mercury a full lineup of four-stroke commercial engines from 40 to 300hp.
The new 225-300hp SeaPro FourStroke engines are designed to offer higher displacement at a lighter weight than competitor models. Each of the Conventional MidSection (CMS) SeaPro V-8 models is the lightest in its class.
Mercury said it has calibrated the new V8 SeaPro models to produce plenty of torque at lower rpm levels, enabling users to work their outboards hard without placing excess stress on the engine, while their exceptionally compact, lightweight design and Advanced Range Optimization (ARO) maximize fuel economy at cruise.
The new V-8 225-300hp SeaPro models are engineered to deliver years of trouble-free performance, Mercury said. They are manufactured with heavy-duty components to cope with the demands of global commercial operation – including a gearcase that is validated at three times the lifespan of a recreational gearcase.
Advanced MidSection (AMS)
The new V-8 300hp SeaPro is available with Mercury’s exclusive Advanced MidSection (AMS), which moves engine mounts aft and outward to virtually eliminate vibration from being transmitted to the boat. In fact, transmitted vibration is a whopping 60 percent less than the leading competitor’s 300hp engine. Models equipped with the AMS also feature electro-hydraulic power steering and are compatible with Mercury’s Joystick Piloting system, which provides maximum control and maneuverability in multi-engine applications.
Other innovations that make the new 225-300hp SeaPro models stand out:
- Compatible with mechanical or digital controls, hydraulic or power steering, and the Mercury Big Tiller
- Adaptive Speed Control lets the new SeaPro engines maintain a desired rpm regardless of changes in load or conditions without adjustments to the throttle lever position – a first for the outboard industry
- Exceptionally smooth and quiet – Tuned multi-chamber air intake minimizes airborne noise; fuel injector covers reduce high-frequency noise. The 300hp SeaPro V-8 CMS engine is quieter than all competitors, including being 15-30 percent quieter than the nearest four stroke competitor’
- Industry-exclusive battery-management technology – when battery voltage decreases, the engine will automatically increase idle rpm to boost alternator output and recharge low batteries to the proper level, protecting operators from draining their battery while trolling
- High-output alternator in the SeaPro V-8 CMS models delivers 20 amps net at idle and 85 peak amps, while the V-8 300hp SeaPro AMS engine boasts a class-leading 115-amp alternator
- Easy, intuitive maintenance – 225-300hp SeaPro models come equipped with a boat-mounted water-separating fuel filter kit, diagnostic SmartCraft gauges, and a graphic owner’s manual supplement. The exclusive Top Cowl Service Door simplifies routine maintenance – check the oil level or add oil without removing the top cowl
- Backed by SeaPro’s industry-leading warranty for commercial users that includes protection against corrosion, a significant advantage over competing products.